Monday, January 17, 2011
Leaving Los Altos
I chose the picture at the top of this blog to signify the journey our family is making through very important, formative years. Yesterday, we took a literal journey away from things and people we love, toward things and people we also love. It was difficult, it was gut wrenching, it was heart breaking, and it was exhilarating, exciting, and renewing. And it was the first time I'd been able to just sit down and concentrate on one thing (driving in this case), without worrying about packing, moving, cleaning, etc. A friend texted me somewhere in the middle of Nevada asking how we were doing. I realized I had been singing The Eagles at the top of my voice for the last half hour (much to the chagrin of Angela and the kids), and it made me smile that I felt happy.
Man, I feel bipolar...
So we made it to Provo. It was dark and raining, and there was a reception party of family waiting for us. Lots of excited kids, a happy Angela to see her family, and one exhausted overwhelmed Dad - it took me a while to want to even get out of the car. It felt so weird that we were "home". We aren't sure we like the sound of that yet, but we're happy and ready to take on lots of new things.
And to our families, who probably wonder why we're acting so weird when we should be super stoked to be moving home close to everyone (we are, don't get me wrong...), please just understand that we left a part of our collective family heart in Los Altos, California. It's just going to take us a while to learn how to function without that piece.
We love you to all our family and friends, past, present, and future.
Man, I feel bipolar...
So we made it to Provo. It was dark and raining, and there was a reception party of family waiting for us. Lots of excited kids, a happy Angela to see her family, and one exhausted overwhelmed Dad - it took me a while to want to even get out of the car. It felt so weird that we were "home". We aren't sure we like the sound of that yet, but we're happy and ready to take on lots of new things.
And to our families, who probably wonder why we're acting so weird when we should be super stoked to be moving home close to everyone (we are, don't get me wrong...), please just understand that we left a part of our collective family heart in Los Altos, California. It's just going to take us a while to learn how to function without that piece.
We love you to all our family and friends, past, present, and future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You and Angela are so good and making friends and are often the "hub" of groups. I'm not surprised at all that you leave feeling torn. I'm sure your California friends will always be grateful to have known you... BUT, we are so excited to get you now. :)
Post a Comment