Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Jab this metal spatula in your eye..."

My old running friend and I used to have a routine during long and painful runs.  When one of us was hurting, the other would pick up a stick and "Jab this stick in your eye and you'll forget all about your knees/feet/whatever".  Well, today I actually tried that, and I didn't like it.

OK, a little background.  I've been having trouble with my eyes for about the last year.  I've been getting eye infections and have had difficulty with my contact lenses during that time.  So we finally decided I should go in and see if I was a candidate for Lasik - I was very excited!  Turns out though, that I have two problems.  The glands around the eye are supposed to secrete three different fluids - tears, oil, and something else I don't remember - that all work together for the benefit of your eye.  Apparently, I have problems with the tear production, in that I don't produce enough, and with the oil secretion, in that it's too thick and just clogs up the pores in my eyelids rather than lubricating my eye.  So I'm on a whole slew of eye drops to combat both problems, but in the meantime, they said I had to go to an "Ocular Hygienist" to have my eyelids expressed.  Little did I know what I was in store for.

It was all sort of serene at first - they laid me down, put a nice warm towel over my eyes, had spa-like music playing in the background, and had me lay there for 15 minutes.  Then just when I was feeling pretty good about life, they came in and the real fun started.  They inserted a metal spatula inside my upper and lower eyelids, and then proceeded to scrape the outside of my lids vigorously to squeeze out the excess oils from the pores.  Visualize your tender eyelid being compressed forcefully between two metal objects...  I guess the good thing was that I was able to generate tears.

No comments: