Sunday, October 24, 2010

Family

We had a really fun family activity last night.  We spread out a picnic blanket on the floor of the TV room, added plastic place mats, and feasted on grilled pork chops, gnocchi, broccoli, and chips & salsa while we watched the Giants win the NLCS.  We all cheered loudly as the Giants made good plays, groaned when they didn't, and were pleasantly surprised when they won to clinch a berth in the World Series.  The kids (and Angela) had a lot of questions about baseball, and Morgan at times was more interested in stretching and doing ballet moves than watching baseball, but we still had a great time.  It was a fun family-together night and even better because the Giants won.

It's raining and gray.  We've actually had to turn the heat on in the house as the inside temperature has been hovering in the low 60s because of the cool humidity outside.  Fortunately this last week was good though.  I had a big Finance offsite down in Carmel, where they put us up at a very nice resort, and we had our choice of Thursday activities before a nice dinner and party that night.  I chose golf, of course, and enjoyed playing a very nice course in a beautiful valley ... for free.  I had a good time seeing lots of old work friends that I haven't seen in quite a while, and being in a non-work environment.  At breakfast the next morning I can tell you I was very glad I don't drink alcohol.  Everyone else at the table looked hung over and definitely worse for the wear.  It made me smile thinking of the freedom our values actually create, rather than the restrictions.

Micah led our ward's entire Young Women in a song during sacrament meeting.  Her leaders had asked her to teach the song to the group, and then to lead it when they sang.  It was beautiful, and we were proud of the way she stepped up and took it seriously.  Her leaders also commented that they were impressed with her confidence in teaching the song and leading much older girls.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Boo Giants!
We're in mourning out here in Philly.

Jenny said...

Boo Giants!
We're in mourning out here in Philly.

Jenny said...

Boo Giants!
We're in mourning out here in Philly.

Jenny said...

Whoa, didn't mean to post 3 times! Guess you know how strongly we feel!