Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Great, Busy Weekend

Hey all, we had a seriously great weekend (I know, it's now Wednesday and I'm just getting around to catching you up...).

We had both sets of grandparents, plus Katie-bug, join us for the whole weekend, and we had a really nice time. It started with Dad, Brig, and I going down to Camp Lehi in the Santa Cruz mountains for our stake Fathers & Sons campout. Brig was in serious heaven - there were friends to run around with, sticks to collect, fire to play with, hot dogs and marshmallows to roast/burn, and he could get as dirty as he wanted. We loved having Grandpa there with us, and I'm sure Brig will remember that for a long time. One particularly funny moment came when I was helping Brig go to the bathroom in the trees. Angela has been teaching him the anatomically correct names for body parts so he can be mature about them, and he's most of the way there, as evidenced by him asking me to help hold his "peanuts" up so he didn't go peeps on his pants & shoes. Classic.

The whole reason for the family visitors was for Morgan's baptism. It was so special, and such a sweet time for our family. Morgan was so prepared, as she had led and inspired weeks worth of FHE lessons in preparation for the actual baptism. We had quite a few nice friends come support us, including her non-member school teacher, and one of Angela's close non-member friends on her school board. We're so grateful for wonderful friends. As it turns out, even though it was the third baptism for our family, we still forgot some important items. You'd think we'd remember that we needed to bring towels with us, since we believe in this funny thing called baptism by immersion... but nope, no towels. It occurred to me as I remembered a towel I always keep in the trunk of my car, that we had the exact same quandary with Kennan's baptism, and used the exact same towel that time too - well, at least we're consistent. Highlights of the baptism were Angela's testimony, Kennan's Holy Ghost talk, and Grandma Richards' baptism talk. We had a big gathering at our house afterwards and, thanks again to so many wonderful friends, we had a beautiful spread and too much to eat.

We also got to support Kennan and Morgan in their school play, Willy Wonka. Kennan was Willy himself, and Morgan was a very precocious Veruca Salt. I have to tell you, Micah didn't get all the acting and singing talent in the family - the girls were absolutely incredible! I'm so proud of both of them, particularly Kennan because she memorized so many lines, acted beautifully, and sang confidently as a real focus of the show.

And finally, I got a new calling on Sunday. I've been called as the Ward Mission Leader in our ward. I have to admit I have mixed feelings about the calling, since I was sort of under the impression I would get more than a week break from my last calling. But I'll do my best and hope we continue to have good missionaries who work hard and teach with the spirit. I guess it's back to PEC meeting before church (hmmm)...

My knee continues to get a little stronger and more flexible all the time. It's definitely not pain free, but I'm pretty active, and the physical therapy seems to be making a positive difference. I'm sort of in this period right now where I feel like it should be getting better faster than it is (like no pain), but I have to remind myself that it takes time and weeks/months.

Finally, as we round out the school year - the kids are literally counting down the number of school days left (16 as of this morning) - I'll post our summer travel schedule in the near future.

No comments: