Friday, March 28, 2008

Failed attempt to invoke controversy...

A common theme among Texas football and basketball fans is "loud and proud". In honor of that tradition, and in support of my Longhorns against local darlings Stanford in today's NCAA tourney game, I am wearing my best burnt orange shirt in the office today. And let me tell you, I have gotten some serious animosity from the engineers ("tell me when there's a World of Warcraft tournament and then I'll care"), Indian employees ("yeah but are they good at cricket?"), and Chinese employees ("how are their academics?")... OK, just kidding about the animosity - try the opposite. I expected more of a response, but I forgot one important thing - this is the Bay Area. They're no good at cheering for their teams, they're only good at complaining about what their teams do wrong. Since Stanford is actually playing well, and could even win this game, they just don't know how to handle it. They're terrible at trash talk, they don't recognize a blatant "in-your-face" challenge like somebody wearing a Texas shirt on game day, and only the original Warriors fans (before the rich people got interested again and drove ticket prices out of the range of the real fans) really know how to cheer for a team. Oh well.

So the weekend looks like this for me: go to the bike store and buy the bike stuff I talked about yesterday, fix a plugged sink drain and maybe a few other honey-do's, help Morgan with her bike handling (and braking) skills some more, bike ride with the kids, a run tomorrow (my 5th of this week!), have long naps with Brig Sat and Sun, watch a little basketball (depending on today's game mostly), a few church meetings, and maybe even a late-night movie with the boys. Not bad.

Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Dan and Hailey said...

Very strong win last night. Lopez twins Shmopez twins. There's hope for my bracket yet!