Friday, February 20, 2009

"Crackbook" and a great week in Utah

We were out to dinner and a make-out session last Friday night with some great friends for Valentines day (OK, no make-out session...inside joke), and they were talking about how they'd each just joined Facebook and had enjoyed catching up with a lot of old friends.  It sparked my interest and I decided to join, so when we got home I fired up the computer and opened a Facebook account.  The first thing they asked me was if I wanted Facebook to search my Gmail emails for other Facebook members, which I accepted, and I was stunned with how many of my friends and family already are on Facebook.  I also joined a couple of groups, like my mission group, a group from BYU Rugby, a group for alums of my business school, BYU, and my high school.  And then the avalanche started... Less than a week later I'm over 100 friends (yeah, who knew!) and enjoying catching up with some old mission buddies and high school friends that I haven't seen, or even thought of, in years.  It's actually pretty cool, but as the title suggests, somewhat addicting.

As most of you know, we've been in Utah since Sunday.  It's been awesome!  We've skied three days - twice at Sundance, and one glorious day at Alta.  The second Sundance day and the Alta day were both days full of amazing sunshine following huge nightly snow storms, so we got the best conditions possible: bluebird skiing on miles of fresh powder and soft groomers with no crowds (midweek skiing is the best!).  The trip at times has felt a bit frivolous because of the money we've spent on lift tickets in these tough economic times, but the memories will be long-lasting and totally worth it.  Kennan and Morgan have continued to blossom as great skiers, and Morgan is convinced she can now do black diamond runs, while Kennan is much more cautious but actually might be an even better skier than Morg is.  

The one drawback of the trip is that we really miss Micah, who is still in Costa Rica.  We got one general email update from the Principal, who is there with the group, and they're all doing really well.  I guess in the case of Micah and other individual kids, no news is good news.

We're headed back to CA tomorrow and looking forward to getting Micah back and settling into our work, school, life, and training routines again.  We feel very rejuvenated and happy.

No comments: