Friday, August 14, 2009

Out With The Old, In With The New

I would estimate Angela spends approximately two hours a day in front of the computer, sometimes less, sometimes more. She's been particularly busy lately with all the school stuff she does. That's why when our computer died on Monday evening, it was a serious calamity. We do have my old school laptop that is suitable for smallish tasks, but not having a good computer was just not going to fly. Problem is, you actually have to pay for these newfangled computer thingies, and thanks to this being very unexpected, it's not the ideal time to have to drop a big chunk of change.

So I started doing the research that night, including market research and polling of Mac users vs. PC users, and I was blown away at how many people A) use Macs now, and B) absolutely love them with nothing bad to say at all. Before long it was looking like the iMac was making a serious bid to supplant the long-reigning PC in our home. By Tuesday afternoon, we had decided to radically change our computing habits, and thanks to a very kind friend who works at Apple (and his friends & family discount!), we ordered ourselves a very sleek and amazing new computer.

Shockingly, it was delivered the very next day, and now the kids have proceeded to set each of us up with our own login and preferences, and we are loving the huge new screen that is our new computer. The only remaining problem (other than the credit card bill) is that we would like to recover some of the stuff from off the old computer. I have an external hard drive plugged into it, which has a lot of the pictures and music, but unfortunately it's been a while since I thought to do a backup... So we're hoping we can resurrect old bessie for just one more short stint in order to complete one more backup, and then we'll let her go in peace.

Exciting times!

1 comment:

Anne & Brandon said...

I'm a life long Mac user, and I love mine! Good choice!